Date: Mon, 10 Jun
Subject: Re: African beats...
are absolutely the best! I knew about Cameroonian music before I got here, but didn't realise that the rhythm and beats would be so captivating! And they're wound pretty tightly with the day to day life. The Cameroonians love music, and they love to dance, and some are ready to break into a little jig even et work! (you should see them when the cameroon team scores a goal :) )
Last weekend, I went to a 'fete de communion'(party after a communion). There was eating and drinking and of course, dancing. And how they danced... little children, youngsters, adults and even the elderly happily rubbed shoulders and danced into the night!
There always some dancing on social occassions here - even after a funeral!
This happened on a trip to the village with the Ngantous. They had to stop at a funeral and the ambience in general was quite sombre. When we got there, there was a memorial service going on and I decided to wait outside with the chauffeur. But before long, we suddenly heard some music and certainly not a melancholic note - it was fast, upbeat, and had a pulsation rhythm. Rather surprised, I peered in to see young and old dancing away! I watched them swing and swerve with some surprise and finally asked Christian if that was normal.
He laughed and told me that it sure was and that it was their way of ensuring that the soul departs in merriment and high spirits...
ta ta,
ruta
Subject: Re: African beats...
are absolutely the best! I knew about Cameroonian music before I got here, but didn't realise that the rhythm and beats would be so captivating! And they're wound pretty tightly with the day to day life. The Cameroonians love music, and they love to dance, and some are ready to break into a little jig even et work! (you should see them when the cameroon team scores a goal :) )
Last weekend, I went to a 'fete de communion'(party after a communion). There was eating and drinking and of course, dancing. And how they danced... little children, youngsters, adults and even the elderly happily rubbed shoulders and danced into the night!
There always some dancing on social occassions here - even after a funeral!
This happened on a trip to the village with the Ngantous. They had to stop at a funeral and the ambience in general was quite sombre. When we got there, there was a memorial service going on and I decided to wait outside with the chauffeur. But before long, we suddenly heard some music and certainly not a melancholic note - it was fast, upbeat, and had a pulsation rhythm. Rather surprised, I peered in to see young and old dancing away! I watched them swing and swerve with some surprise and finally asked Christian if that was normal.
He laughed and told me that it sure was and that it was their way of ensuring that the soul departs in merriment and high spirits...
ta ta,
ruta
No comments:
Post a Comment