Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 14:46
Subject: [mcgians] Extrème North...
where "tout est extrème" (everything is extreme). The summers are unbearably hot (and dry), then the rains lash down turning the clay roads into a sea of
mud, the winters are harsh and I caught only a glimpse of the floodplains caused by the rains. Little lakes everywhere -- but in a couple of weeks, it
will turn into one big lake, dotted by hamlets of round mud houses. (should send you some pictures :))
I dozed off on the flight, and when I looked out of the window, everything had changed -- the lush forests were gone, as was the bright red earth and winding rivers. I saw a scrubby yellow terrain, dotted with green (signs of rain),and long courses of dried rivers.
But life in the Sahelian savannahs is certainly not easy. Take for instance the terrace farms, maintained by the "animists"(follow their indigenous religion). They live in the round mud houses without electricity and some have to go a long distance for water. Further in the mountains, I was told, live people who are totally untouched by civilisation!
But the story behind the terrace farms is interesting. History has it that when the Islamic wave swept over this part of Africa, and when the Muslims took over the villages and regions with fertile soil, the animists moved to the craggy mountains (fearing conversion to Islam). Since the land here was rocky, they actually carried soil from the plains to the mountains. Little by little, placing rocks on the edges (to prevent the flow of soil, I guess), they began cultivation. And the process continues even today.
But when you see the waving corn fields, it's hard to believe that there were only rocks in this area before!
Despite the excruciatingly painful flight and travel conditions (think I'm going to be a more patient person by the time my stay here is done :)), the north was really interesting -- the round mud houses, the savannahs, the culture, the people...it's totally different from Yaounde and West Cameroon.
Also went to the Waza Park to see animals in their natural habitat – saw herds of giraffes, ostrich, bongos, damalisques, gazelles, antelopes, lion facochères (wild boar, i think in english), african mongoose, all kinds of birds – was quite amazing :) Even the hours/days spent at different airports and the negotiations seemed worthwhile :)
love,
ruta
Subject: [mcgians] Extrème North...
where "tout est extrème" (everything is extreme). The summers are unbearably hot (and dry), then the rains lash down turning the clay roads into a sea of
mud, the winters are harsh and I caught only a glimpse of the floodplains caused by the rains. Little lakes everywhere -- but in a couple of weeks, it
will turn into one big lake, dotted by hamlets of round mud houses. (should send you some pictures :))
I dozed off on the flight, and when I looked out of the window, everything had changed -- the lush forests were gone, as was the bright red earth and winding rivers. I saw a scrubby yellow terrain, dotted with green (signs of rain),and long courses of dried rivers.
But life in the Sahelian savannahs is certainly not easy. Take for instance the terrace farms, maintained by the "animists"(follow their indigenous religion). They live in the round mud houses without electricity and some have to go a long distance for water. Further in the mountains, I was told, live people who are totally untouched by civilisation!
But the story behind the terrace farms is interesting. History has it that when the Islamic wave swept over this part of Africa, and when the Muslims took over the villages and regions with fertile soil, the animists moved to the craggy mountains (fearing conversion to Islam). Since the land here was rocky, they actually carried soil from the plains to the mountains. Little by little, placing rocks on the edges (to prevent the flow of soil, I guess), they began cultivation. And the process continues even today.
But when you see the waving corn fields, it's hard to believe that there were only rocks in this area before!
Despite the excruciatingly painful flight and travel conditions (think I'm going to be a more patient person by the time my stay here is done :)), the north was really interesting -- the round mud houses, the savannahs, the culture, the people...it's totally different from Yaounde and West Cameroon.
Also went to the Waza Park to see animals in their natural habitat – saw herds of giraffes, ostrich, bongos, damalisques, gazelles, antelopes, lion facochères (wild boar, i think in english), african mongoose, all kinds of birds – was quite amazing :) Even the hours/days spent at different airports and the negotiations seemed worthwhile :)
love,
ruta
No comments:
Post a Comment