Recently found a stream of emails I had sent to my friends from Cameroon. Here they are..
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002
Subject: my first meal in Cameroon...
turned out to be hedgehog!!! I can almost see the expression on your faces - wish you could have seen mine when I found out!
Well, the evening i got here - there was this nice dinner waiting for me – two kinds of great smelling curries, rice, couscous wrapped in small packets of banana leaves, and fruits. So when I asked what the meat was, my hostess said it was 'herisson'(french). Since my french textbooks never had a hedgehog in them, i didn't quite know :) The description the three women gave me made me think it was something like a rabbit. The only thing I found was unusual was that my hostess told me that the medium-sized pot contained nearly 10 kgs. of meat – one heavy rabbit, i thought!
Actually, that was the reason I looked it up the dictionary and boy, my eyes almost popped out! I had to share it with you guys :)
love,
Ruta
P.S. Perhaps I should carry a dictionnary with me more often! But again that may inhibit my experiences and the "herisson" sure was delicious!!!
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002
Subject: my first meal in Cameroon...
turned out to be hedgehog!!! I can almost see the expression on your faces - wish you could have seen mine when I found out!
Well, the evening i got here - there was this nice dinner waiting for me – two kinds of great smelling curries, rice, couscous wrapped in small packets of banana leaves, and fruits. So when I asked what the meat was, my hostess said it was 'herisson'(french). Since my french textbooks never had a hedgehog in them, i didn't quite know :) The description the three women gave me made me think it was something like a rabbit. The only thing I found was unusual was that my hostess told me that the medium-sized pot contained nearly 10 kgs. of meat – one heavy rabbit, i thought!
Actually, that was the reason I looked it up the dictionary and boy, my eyes almost popped out! I had to share it with you guys :)
love,
Ruta
P.S. Perhaps I should carry a dictionnary with me more often! But again that may inhibit my experiences and the "herisson" sure was delicious!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment